Many Muslims believe that the term “Muslim” and “Mu’min” are interchangeable and have the same meaning. However, according to the Quran, many people are Muslims (including some Jews and Christians) but not all Muslims are Mu’mins.
A “Muslim” (Submitter) by definition is anyone who submits or surrenders their will to the one true God. This is irrespective of whether or not they believe in the Quran or prophet Muhammad.
A “Mu’min” (Believer), in the context of the Quran, is one who believes in
- The one true God
- All of God’s angels
- All of God’s scriptures including the Torah, Injeel, and Quran
- All of God’s messengers including Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad
One may be a Muslim (Submitter) but not yet be a Mu’min (believer) as true faith has not yet entered their hearts. This is proven in verse 49:14.
|قَالَتِ الْأَعْرَابُ آمَنَّا ۖ قُل لَّمْ تُؤْمِنُوا وَلَٰكِن قُولُوا أَسْلَمْنَا وَلَمَّا يَدْخُلِ الْإِيمَانُ فِي قُلُوبِكُمْ ۖ وَإِن تُطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ لَا يَلِتْكُم مِّنْ أَعْمَالِكُمْ شَيْئًا ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ|
|The desert Arabs say, “We believe!” Say, “Do not say you believe; but only say, ‘We have submitted our wills to God (as Submitters / Muslims),’ as belief has not yet entered your hearts. But if you obey God and His Messenger, He will not deprive you anything of your deeds: for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (49:14)|
Therefore, being a Muslim (Submitter) first is a pre-requisite for acquiring belief to become a Mu’min (believer). Verse 7:143 shows the example of prophet Moses when he became a Mu’min (believer). Verse 2:260 shows the example of prophet Abraham who asked to have his heart strengthened so that he could become a Mu’min (believer).
There are many proofs in the Quran of people who lived before prophet Muhammad and were Muslim.
- Prophet Noah (10:72)
- Prophet Solomon (27:31, 27:42)
- Prophet Lot (51:36)
- Prophet Abraham (3:67)
- Disciples of Prophet Jesus (3:52)
- Prophet Joseph (12:101)
- Prophet Jacob’s children (2:133)
- Pharaoh’s magicians (7:126)
None of these people could have known of the Quran or the coming of prophet Muhammad, yet they are described as Muslims (Submitters). Therefore, being a Muslim (Submitter), according to the Quran, does not require belief in the Quran or prophet Muhammad. It just requires submitting one’s will to the one true God.
As a matter of fact, during the time of prophet Muhammad some people amongst the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) did believe in Muhammad and they, therefore, were Mu’mins (believers) even though they were still Jews and Christians.
|وَإِذَا سَمِعُوا مَا أُنزِلَ إِلَى الرَّسُولِ تَرَىٰ أَعْيُنَهُمْ تَفِيضُ مِنَ الدَّمْعِ مِمَّا عَرَفُوا مِنَ الْحَقِّ ۖ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا آمَنَّا فَاكْتُبْنَا مَعَ الشَّاهِدِينَ|
|And when they hear what has been revealed to the Messenger, you see their eyes overflowing with tears because of what they have recognized of the truth. They say, “Our Lord, we have believed, so register us among the witnesses. (5:83)|
|وَإِنَّ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ لَمَن يُؤْمِنُ بِاللَّهِ وَمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكُمْ وَمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِمْ خَاشِعِينَ …|
|And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book, those who believe in God, in the revelation to you (Muhammad), and in the revelation to them (Torah, Injil), bowing in humility to God …. (3:199)|
People who believed in the previous scriptures, including Jews and Christians, were already Muslims.
|الَّذِينَ آتَيْنَاهُمُ الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلِهِ هُم بِهِ يُؤْمِنُونَ وَإِذَا يُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ قَالُوا آمَنَّا بِهِ إِنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّنَا إِنَّا كُنَّا مِن قَبْلِهِ مُسْلِمِينَ|
|Those to whom We gave the Scripture before it – they are believers in it. And when it is recited to them, they say, “We have believed in it; indeed, it is the truth from our Lord. Indeed we were, [even] before it, Submitters (Muslims).” (28:52-53)|
- Proof Muslim Women Don’t Have to Cover Their Hair
- Proof the Hadith is Not Valid Islamic Law
- Muslims Are Performing the Hajj Wrong
- Muslims Are Wrong About Zakat
- Lailat Al-Qadr Is Not What You Think It Is
- Most Muslims Start & End Fasting At the Wrong Time
- Islamic Misconceptions About the Call to Prayer (Adhaan)
- Most Muslims Are Wrong About Various Aspects of Prayer
- Islamic Ablution (Wudhu) Is Simpler Than Many Muslims Think
- Muslims Don’t Need to Perform Ablution (Wudhu) Before Touching the Quran
- Deferring Matters of Islamic Law to Religious Scholars Is Not Permissible. Studying and Understanding the Quran is Required.
- Proof That the Quran Is Complete and That the Hadith Books Are Not Needed
- Prayer Among Jews, Christians, and Muslims – A Quranic Analysis
- The Testimony (Shahadah) to Convert to Islam is Inaccurate
- Categories of People According to the Quran
- Jews and Christians Are Actually Muslims
- Abraham, Not Muhammad, Was the Founder of Islam
- Jewish, Christian and Islamic Scriptures
- The Fallacy That Descendants of Prophet Muhammad Are Superior to Everyone Else
- Islamic Prophets, Messengers & Scriptures
- What is God’s Name – A Quranic Analysis
- Aliens Do Exist – A Quranic Analysis
- Most Muslims Are Asian, Not Arab
- Proof That Relatives (Wives, Children, Descendants, etc) of Islamic Prophets, Including Muhammad, Are Not Automatically Righteous
- There Is No Punishment for Blasphemy in Islam
- Proof That Arabic is Not a Holy or Superior Language
- Proof That Prophet Muhammad Is Not Exclusive or Superior to Other Prophets
- Muslims (Submitters) and Mu’mins (Believers) Are Not the Same Thing
- Most Jews, Christians, and Polytheists Are Not Infidels (Kafir)
- There Is No Quranic Proof That Zamzam Water Is Blessed Holy Water
- Muslims Are Not Allowed To Force Others To Practice Islam. So Why Do Muslims & Islamic Governments Keep Doing It?
- If You Are a Sunni or Shia Muslim, Then You’ve Violated Islamic Law
- Contrary to Extremist Belief, Muslims Are Allowed To Sing and Listen to Music
- Muslims Are Allowed To Have Statues and Photos of People in Their Homes
- Dogs Aren’t Impure. Muslims Are Allowed to Have Pet Dogs.
- Muslims Are Allowed to Pay Interest, e.g. on a Car or Home Loan
- Prophet Muhammad Was Not Illiterate. He Could Read and Write.
- Jesus is Dead & He Ain’t Comin’ Back – A Quranic Analysis
- Many Muslims Are Wrong About Getting Help From Others on the Day of Judgment
- Wills and Inheritance Law According to the Quran
- Most Muslims Are Wrong About Halal Food
- Circumcision Is Not Required Among Muslim Boys / Men
- Muslim Women Are Not Exempt From Congregational Friday Prayers
- Muslim Women Are Not Exempt From Fasting, Praying, etc During Menstruation
- The Quran Doesn’t Support a Strictly Vegetarian Diet
- Summary of the Quran
- Summary of the Quran 2
- إثبات أن الحديث ليس شرعاً إسلامياً صالحاً
- إثبات أن النساء المسلمات لسن بحاجة لتغطية شعرهم
- Bukti Hadits Tidak Valid Hukum Islam
- Kekeliruan Bahwa Keturunan Nabi Muhammad Lebih Unggul Dari Semua Orang Lain
- Bukti Wanita Muslim Tidak Harus Menutup Rambutnya Dengan Hijab