Many Muslims believe that they will reap some huge reward or all of their sins will be washed away if they perform lots of worship during one unknown night near the end of the month of Ramadan. However, there is no statement in the Quran that tells people to try and find Lailat Al-Qadr.
According to verses 97:1-5, we know that God revealed something in the Night of Decree (Laylatul-qadr).
|إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِوَمَا أَدْرَاكَ مَا لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ سَلَامٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ|
|Indeed, We sent it down (Arabic: Anzalnahu) during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn. (97:1-5)|
The Arabic word “anzalnahu” means “we sent it down”. This most like means that the Quran was sent down. If we look at verse 44:2-4, we find that the same word (anzalnahu) was used to describe the Quran being sent down.
|وَالْكِتَابِ الْمُبِينِ إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ ۚ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ|
|By the clear Book (Quran), Indeed, We sent it down during (Arabic: Anzalnahu) a blessed night. Indeed, We were to warn [mankind]. (44:2-4)|
According to verse 2:185, we find that the Quran was revealed in the month of Ramadan.
|شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ الَّذِي أُنزِلَ فِيهِ الْقُرْآنُ هُدًى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَاتٍ مِّنَ الْهُدَىٰ وَالْفُرْ…|
|The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. … (2:185 part)|
And according to verse 17:106, we find that the Quran was not revealed all at once or only during the month of Ramadan but rather a little at a time throughout prophet Muhammad’s ministry.
|وَقُرْآنًا فَرَقْنَاهُ لِتَقْرَأَهُ عَلَى النَّاسِ عَلَىٰ مُكْثٍ وَنَزَّلْنَاهُ تَنزِيلًا|
|And [it is] a Qur’an which We have separated [by intervals] that you might recite it to the people over a prolonged period. And We have sent it down progressively. (17:106)|
Based on the facts about Laylatul-Qadr described above, we see that the Quran never tells people to seek the Night of Decree (Laylatul Qadr). The revelation of the Quran began on the Night of Decree (Laylatul Qadr) and the rest of the Quran was revealed throughout the remainder of Muhammad’s life.
Lastly, the purpose of fasting in the month of Ramadhan is to guard against evil and learn self-restraint (Arabic: tattaqun) as described in verse 2:183.
|يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ|
|O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may learn self-restraint / guard against evil – (2:183)|
- Proof Muslim Women Don’t Have to Cover Their Hair
- Proof the Hadith is Not Valid Islamic Law
- Muslims Are Performing the Hajj Wrong
- Muslims Are Wrong About Zakat
- Lailat Al-Qadr Is Not What You Think It Is
- Most Muslims Start & End Fasting At the Wrong Time
- Islamic Misconceptions About the Call to Prayer (Adhaan)
- Most Muslims Are Wrong About Various Aspects of Prayer
- Islamic Ablution (Wudhu) Is Simpler Than Many Muslims Think
- Muslims Don’t Need to Perform Ablution (Wudhu) Before Touching the Quran
- Deferring Matters of Islamic Law to Religious Scholars Is Not Permissible. Studying and Understanding the Quran is Required.
- Proof That the Quran Is Complete and That the Hadith Books Are Not Needed
- Prayer Among Jews, Christians, and Muslims – A Quranic Analysis
- The Testimony (Shahadah) to Convert to Islam is Inaccurate
- Categories of People According to the Quran
- Jews and Christians Are Actually Muslims
- Abraham, Not Muhammad, Was the Founder of Islam
- Jewish, Christian and Islamic Scriptures
- The Fallacy That Descendants of Prophet Muhammad Are Superior to Everyone Else
- Islamic Prophets, Messengers & Scriptures
- What is God’s Name – A Quranic Analysis
- Aliens Do Exist – A Quranic Analysis
- Most Muslims Are Asian, Not Arab
- Proof That Relatives (Wives, Children, Descendants, etc) of Islamic Prophets, Including Muhammad, Are Not Automatically Righteous
- There Is No Punishment for Blasphemy in Islam
- Proof That Arabic is Not a Holy or Superior Language
- Proof That Prophet Muhammad Is Not Exclusive or Superior to Other Prophets
- Muslims (Submitters) and Mu’mins (Believers) Are Not the Same Thing
- Most Jews, Christians, and Polytheists Are Not Infidels (Kafir)
- There Is No Quranic Proof That Zamzam Water Is Blessed Holy Water
- Muslims Are Not Allowed To Force Others To Practice Islam. So Why Do Muslims & Islamic Governments Keep Doing It?
- If You Are a Sunni or Shia Muslim, Then You’ve Violated Islamic Law
- Contrary to Extremist Belief, Muslims Are Allowed To Sing and Listen to Music
- Muslims Are Allowed To Have Statues and Photos of People in Their Homes
- Dogs Aren’t Impure. Muslims Are Allowed to Have Pet Dogs.
- Muslims Are Allowed to Pay Interest, e.g. on a Car or Home Loan
- Prophet Muhammad Was Not Illiterate. He Could Read and Write.
- Jesus is Dead & He Ain’t Comin’ Back – A Quranic Analysis
- Many Muslims Are Wrong About Getting Help From Others on the Day of Judgment
- Wills and Inheritance Law According to the Quran
- Most Muslims Are Wrong About Halal Food
- Circumcision Is Not Required Among Muslim Boys / Men
- Muslim Women Are Not Exempt From Congregational Friday Prayers
- Muslim Women Are Not Exempt From Fasting, Praying, etc During Menstruation
- The Quran Doesn’t Support a Strictly Vegetarian Diet
- Summary of the Quran
- إثبات أن الحديث ليس شرعاً إسلامياً صالحاً
- إثبات أن النساء المسلمات لسن بحاجة لتغطية شعرهم
- Bukti Hadits Tidak Valid Hukum Islam
- Kekeliruan Bahwa Keturunan Nabi Muhammad Lebih Unggul Dari Semua Orang Lain