One of the food options I like the most at Chipotle is their beef barbacoa. Chipotle doesn’t tell you their recipe, but they do tell you the ingredients. Here’s a beef barbacoa recipe that tastes almost as good as the one at Chipotle and is super easy to make.
This recipe involves using a slow cooker.
- 3 lb Beef brisket or chuck roast (trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks. Remove most of the fat.)
- 1 cup Beef broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 medium Goya Foods Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (including the sauce, about 4 tsp)
- 5 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 whole Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Ground cloves
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2 tbsp Lime juice (optional)
- Combine the broth, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, dried oregano, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, and ground cloves in a blender (everything except the beef and bay leaves). Puree until smooth.
- Place the beef chunks in the slow cooker. Pour the pureed mixture from the blender on top. Add the (whole) bay leaves.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low, until the beef is fall-apart tender.
- Remove the bay leaves. Shred the meat using two forks and stir into the juices. Cover and rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the beef to absorb even more flavor. Use a slotted spoon to serve.