Moroccan Shakshouka and Turkish Menemen are very similar. Here’s my version of these dishes.
- 5 eggs
- 1 8oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (Target / FoodMaxx / Smart n Final)
- 2 handfuls of frozen diced onions (Smart n Final)
- 1/4 lb of ground beef
- 2 tbsp wet minced garlic
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- Smoked paprika (not regular paprika)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional – remove seeds so you don’t sweat)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Sourdough bread
- 1/8 cup cilantro for garnish (you can also use Lightly Dried Cilantro)
- Shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Pour olive oil in large 12″ pan on high heat
- Fry ground beef, onions, jalapeno pepper and garlic until slightly brown
- Pour in diced tomatoes and sprinkle in smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste (optionally, add tomato paste) and cook for 5 minutes. Optionally add cheese.
- Put 5 slices of sour dough bread in toaster and toast until slightly hard
- Add eggs being careful not to break the yolk
- Cover and poach on medium heat until egg white changes from translucent to white. Turn off heat so that egg yolk is still runny.
- Garnish with cilantro
- Eat by scooping up Shakshouka with spoon and chase it with a bite of the bread