Tasty Spicy Lentil Soup Recipe
I came across this lentil soup one day and couldn’t believe how tasty it was. It’s very spicy, though, so unless you can handle hot and spicy food, you may want to skip this or exclude the 3 green chili peppers.
This recipe is for cooking in a pot. A similar recipe for cooking in a slow cooker is also available.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 3 green chili peppers
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Daal spice
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 lb of red split lentils
- Cut tomatoes and onions into quarters to put into a blender
- Cut one green chili pepper into 1 inch long pieces to put into blender
- Cut stalk part of cilantro bunch and throw away
- Cut non-stalk-part of cilantro bunch into 1 inch long pieces to put into a blender
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, 1 green chili pepper, ginger and garlic paste, olive oil, Daal spice, and salt.
- Put blend from step 1 and the 2 remaining green chili peppers in the pot and cook on medium to low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Put the lentils in the pot, stir and cook covered on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add boiling hot water to pot until there is about 1.5 inches of water above the top of the solid ingredients.
- Cover pot and cook on medium heat for 1 hour.